Monday, May 16, 2011

Upcoming road trip

Well, by this time next week, my family and I will be heading out on another cross-country road trip.  Two years ago, we did this and traveled from Rochester, NY to Bellingham, WA and back again.  We took I-80 on the way there and I-90 on the way back.  We stopped a few places each way, but the big landmark we visited was Mt. Rushmore, in the Black Hills of South Dakota.  This year, we are taking a less direct route to Bellingham.  First, we are heading to the historic town of Nauvoo, IL for a little church history and then on to Albuquerque, NM.  From New Mexico, we are heading to the Grand Canyon and then up the coast of California to see the Redwood Forest.  From there, we will had up to Bellingham.  After a short stay visiting family in Bellingham, we will head back to NY via I-80.

With 4 young kids in tow, it was difficult to convince me that vacation was the proper term for what we were about to do.  Crazy, insane, or difficult all seemed like more fitting words.  However, having done this in 2009, we discovered just how much fun road trips can be.  The most important things to remember is to bring snacks, but limit drinks (in order to reduce the need for bathroom breaks); have plenty of in-car entertainment, such as books on tape, a few DVDs, some fun songs, and the classic road trip games like I Spy, car bingo, etc; and stop often and explore along the way.  Take in the sites of this great country.

Twizzlers is holding a Summer Landmarks Promotion, where you could win a a trip to a well-known United States destination plus daily, road trip-themed prizes throughout the summer.  I love some of the ideas they have come up with for this promotion too.  Such as The Statue of Liberty and the St. Louis Arch:




When considering road trip snacks, be sure to include Twizzlers.  They are low-fat, don't melt in the heat, come in a variety of flavors to please everyone, and just taste great.




***Disclaimer***
By sharing this post, I am entering a contest for a Twizzlers Landmark Summer promotion prize pack as a member of the Mom Bloggers Club.

1 comment:

  1. I hope your trip is nice! I've only made it 9 hours with my crew and they were acting crazy! I'd love to hear more about how y'all do the road trips and live to enjoy it, lol!

    ReplyDelete