Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Pinspired: Snowman Pencil Holder

I am always looking for ways to re-use things around my house.  Recently, I also found myself in need of something to corral my BIC permanent markers, so when I found a snowman pencil holder on Pinterest, made from a recycled vegetable can, I couldn't wait to make it.
I gathered my supplies (except, I ended up not using the googly eyes):
Supplies Needed 
tin can (I used the can from a 29 oz can of tomato sauce, but you can use a smaller one)
glue (white glue would work as well as hot glue)
scissors
white yarn (mine is actually off white, but pure white would look nicer)
a square of black felt
orange felt scrap
optional: googly eyes or permanent markers for the face

Instructions
1) Wash the can and remove the label.
2) Cut a square from the black felt that extends about 1/2" past the edges of your can.  Fold the square in half and make a slit.
3) Center the square over the top of the can and cut from the slit to the inside edge of the can.  Do this until you have cut the center out and can slip it down snugly over the can.  The felt will stretch, so if you cut it a little small, that is okay.
4) Cut the edges off the square, so that it resembles the brim of a hat.
5) With the remaining black felt, stretch it around the top 1/3 of the can.  You have to pull on it a bit, but it will fit perfectly.  Glue this down.  I found it a little easier to have the felt taller than the can and then to cut it down to size after it was glued on.
6) Starting on the same side of the can where the seam to the hat is, put a bit of glue down and start wrapping the white yarn around the can.  I started at the bottom and worked my way up.  I wrapped it around several times and then pushed the yarn down to keep it tightly wrapped, so no tin showed through.  When you get close to the felt, put a drop of glue down and glue down the yarn.  Cut the remaining yarn off.
7) Adjust the brim of the hat so that it sits between the yarn and felt.  Mine fit snug enough that I did not need to glue it, but if yours does not, you can glue it in place.
8) Now it is time to make the face.  I simply cut a small triangle from the orange felt and then took my scraps of black felt and cut out roundish circles, smaller ones for the mouth and slightly larger ones for the eyes.  Coal is not perfectly shaped, so this is a very easy part of the craft.  I had planned to use googly eyes, but really preferred the look of the "coal" felt eyes more. Feel free to use whatever you like.  Also, the felt sticks well to the yarn, so you can play around with the face until you find what you like, then glue them down.

recycled can

The total cost of this craft was less than 25 cents, as I have about 1/3 of the black felt square left and almost all of the orange felt left, along with most of the skein of yarn. If you had to go out and buy all the materials, it would still cost under $2, as you can use a low-quality yarn. This is also a fun project to do with kids, but I would not recommend using the hot glue gun with little ones.

This has been shared on Simply Rebekah, Your Green Resource.

5 comments:

  1. It looks great, Danielle. I'm so glad that my post could be a inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable and a craft my kids could do too! Thanks so very much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fun and easy snowman craft! And a cute way to hold pencils.

    ReplyDelete