Thursday, October 28, 2010

Happy 140th, Vaseline!

Did you know that Vaseline has been around since 1870? That's right, they are celebrating their 140th anniversary as America's most trusted healthy skin expert and more than 30 years as a leading hand and body lotion. During these past 140 years, consumers have discovered many, many uses for Vaseline. Today, I am going to share 10 of my favorite uses for Vaseline and encourage you to leave your favorite uses of Vaseline in a comment below.

1- Use it to keep shampoo out of a little one's eyes. Just wipe a bit over the child's eyebrows and the soapy water will divert around the child's eyes.

2- Use it for costume wounds. Place a glob of Vaseline on the skin where you want the wound to be. Then use a toothpick to "etch" the cut into the Vaseline and use fake blood in the cut. The Vaseline makes the wound look wet and gross. I do not have a lot of use for this, but with Halloween in a few days, I thought it would be appropriate to share this tip.

3- Rub Vaseline on the terminals of your car battery to prevent erosion. I also know of some people who take big glops of Vaseline and put it in rust-prone areas of the vehicles right before the snow starts. It helps keep the salt from the roads from sticking to the vehicle and causing it to rust. This is particularly effective around the door jambs.

4- Make your own lip gloss. When you get down to the bottom of your lip stick and all that is left is the little nub that is stuck in the tube, dig it out and mix it with some Vaseline for customized lip gloss. You can even blend several different colors of lip stick to create your own "new" color.

5- Keep your feet soft. I tend to neglect my feet in the winter, but it easy to help keep them soft if you lather them up with Vaseline and then cover them with a pair of cotton socks. Do this before bed a few times a week and your feet will be sandal ready come summer.

6- Control your eye brows. I like to wrap my hair in a towel when I get out of the shower and remove it when I am ready to do my hair for the day. With 4 kids, sometimes it will be a little while before I get to it. If any of my eye brows got caught when I was wrapping my hair, they tend to stick out in a funny way afterwards and it can be difficult to get them back in line. A light swipe of Vaseline, gets the wayward hairs back where they belong with little effort.

7- Use it in the bedroom...with caution. I will start with the PG use in the bedroom. Vaseline can be used during a massage to reduce friction and soften the skin. As things heat up, it can then be used as an intimate lubricant. However, if you are using condoms, DO NOT use Vaseline with them, as it can deteriorate the latex.

8- Smother a tick. If you find a tick on your pet or on a person, and the tick is embedded itself in the skin, cover it with Vaseline. This will make it so the tick cannot breathe and it will back itself out of the skin, allowing you to then brush it off. Before sure to keep an eye on the wound though for signs of infection or Lyme Disease.

9- Speaking of bugs, Vaseline can also kill lice. When all else has failed, smear a thick layer of Vaseline all over the scalp to smother and kill lice.

10- One more for Halloween: rub Vaseline on the cut portions of your Jack O'Lantern to keep them from drying out or rotting.

So there you have 10 of my favorite uses for Vaseline. It can be used in so many ways, but do take note that there are times NOT to use Vaseline. As I stated above, do not use Vaseline as a lubricant with latex condoms because it can weaken the latex and cause the condom to break. Also, do not put Vaseline on a fresh burn as it can trap the heat and cause a more severe injury. Now, I have shared how I use Vaseline and a few ways not to use Vaseline, how do you use Vaseline?

*Disclaimer*
I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and Vaseline blogging program, making me eligible to get a $25 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment