Friday, September 9, 2011

Ratatouille


Tonight for dinner, I made Ratatouille for the first time. I was excited to use my zucchini from my garden (it is the first thing I ever harvested that I grew completely from seed) and the eggplant, onions and tomatoes I had picked up at the farmer's market. I was inspired by a recipe I saw posted by Carly over at Createlive. I served it with plain brown rice that I cooked with butter and chicken broth.  The texture and consistency were great, but the flavor was rather bland. I had substituted red onions for the regular ones, and used fresh herbs instead of dry.  After tripling the fresh herbs to account for the loss of flavor concentration, I added a bit more, but felt it was still lacking in flavor.  In the future, we will double the amount of herbs, increase the garlic and add salt.  It is definitely edible, but no one was excited about it.  They ate what was in front of them , but asked me to figure out another way to serve the leftovers.  I strained the leftover veggies and will add them to sauce to serve over pasta on Sunday.  This was definitely not a bad recipe, but it is one that I will need to tinker with to get it to my family's liking.  If any of you have a tried and true ratatouille recipe, I would love to see it.  I will post the recipe I come up with, but it may not be until next summer when my zucchini start growing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment