Friday, April 13, 2012

Feed them Friday: Homemade Magic Shell

We enjoy Magic Shell at our house, but in an effort to make more things from scratch, we decided to try to make our own at home.  I found a couple different recipes, but the one I am sharing today, I cannot find the original post for.  I did alter it significantly though so while I am happy to give credit to the inspiration (if I could find it), I also feel comfortable enough to post it without the acknowledgment.

Ingredients
1 cup coconut oil
1/4 c cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 c honey.

Directions
Place all ingredients in a saucepan and mix over low heat until melted, stirring until combined.
Store at room temperature.
If it solidifies, or you choose to store it in the fridge, you can re-heat it on the stove top to get it back to its liquid state.


What we thought
The day we made this, it had a strong coconut flavor, which was not bad, but if you are looking for a pure chocolate flavor, or dislike coconut flavor, you may not want to eat this right away.  As we let it sit and re-heated it, the coconut flavor has dissipated.  One of my daughters and I loved it the first day and the days since.  The rest of the family does not care for coconut flavor so they did not enjoy it the first day, but liked it after we reheated it a few days later.  I have another recipe I want to try and will share those results later.

1 comment: