Friday, August 31, 2012

Book review: Beautiful Mess: The Story of Diamond Rio

About the book
Can a band comprised of six very talented but very different musicians make a difference with their music?
What made it possible for Diamond Rio to weather the storms inherent in the fickle world of fame and fortune and go more than two decades without a single lineup change? Any reader in search of transparency and a behind-the-scenes look into the life of the band as a unit as well as the individual lives of the players and singers will be well satisfied. Can true loyalty exist within the competitive, seemingly unforgiving music industry? In Beautiful Mess, Marty Roe, Dan Truman, Jimmy Olander, Brian Prout, Gene Johnson, and Dana Williams each has an entire chapter devoted to his personal and professional life. Beautiful Mess is a wild ride from the edge of disaster and a little-known secret to an ongoing heart-warming revival.

My thoughts
I enjoy learning about the lives of others and I love country music, so when I had the opportunity to review Beautiful Mess: The Story of Diamond Rio, I was excited.  There is nothing wrong with the writing or the stories, but I was just not drawn into the book.  It took me a LONG time to just get through it.  It is a good story, just not one that I found compelling enough to keep picking up.  I did like to reading each of their individual stories and the story of the group as a whole.  I also liked seeing the pictures of how they changed through the years. 

I recommend this book to Diamond Rio fans, as a book to read when you want something you can pick up as you feel like it.  This is the kind of book you can pick up to relax just before bedtime and not have to worry about being able to put it back down.

Disclaimer
A special thank you to the author and publisher for the complimentary copy of this book that I received in exchange for this review.  As always, my opinion is my own.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment