Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Try It Tuesday: Fresh pomegranates


Ok, I have had fresh pomegranates before, but I have a new way of getting the seeds out that is soooooo much easier and quicker. I recently saw on Martha Stewart's show that you can quarter a pomegranate and hold it over a bowl, seed side down. Then take the back of a wooden spoon and just whack the back of the pomegranate repeatedly. It is sort of fun and a good way to relieve a bit of stress, but the best part is it removes just about every seed in a matter of moments. After seeing it done on Martha, I just had to try it. I picked up a pomegranate this week and tried it. It worked fabulously and I had a bowl full of gorgeous crimson seeds in about 5 minutes, instead of an hour. One word of caution: be sure to hold it deep in the bowl and/or do not wear a good shirt and do not do it near anything you do not want little reddish-purple stains on. You do not lose a lot of juice, but you are likely to get some spattering as you hit the back of the fruit.

Do I recommend this method for removing pomegranate seeds? Absolutley!

1 comment:

  1. You have a lot of great ideas on your blog. Thanks for the tips and tricks on preparing for and saving for next Christmas. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete