Monday, April 18, 2011

Making It Better Monday: Just Shut It

In my last post, I talked about starting a series where I would share ideas and habits to help us keep our homes and lives in a more organized manner.  I am going to call the series "Making It Better Monday" and will post every Monday.  Each week I will share an idea or a habit to work on during the upcoming week.  If it is a habit you are already in, work with your other household members so that they can get in the habit as well, making your life easier.

This weeks tip is: If you open it, shut it.

Easy enough, right?  This is something I am going to be working with my kids on improving.  If you have drawers, doors and cupboards open in a room, it makes the room look chaotic, and it creates serious safety issues.  My then 3-year-old, ended up in the ER last year when she was playing ballerina in the bedroom she shares with her sisters.  After completing a twirl, the dizzy ballerina fell, hitting her ear on the corner of her sister's open dresser drawer.  She pierced an "L" right through the cartilage of her upper ear and scraped her scalp on the other side.  Fortunately, she was okay and has no long term problems from it, but it could have been a lot worse. 

In order to implement this habit, I plan to pay more attention to who is opening what throughout the day and then gently reminding them to close it when they are done.  After a few days, if they are still leaving things open, I may just have them go back and practice opening and closing the door (which is what is likely to be in our house) several times.  Hopefully, next week, I will be able to tell you that we have mastered this habit.

3 comments:

  1. My husband would say that I need that lesson the most. I always leave stuff open, mostly the cabinets. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. I can really use some help in this department! My house is a wreck from all of my blogging...but these small steps (especially taught to my kids) could help a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm following you now, Ms. Rochester, NY...do you happen to know the Gees?

    ReplyDelete