Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Try It Tuesday: Chex Mix Bars Chocolate Chunk

Ok, it is yet another less healthy food item that I tried this week, but they do provide at least 8 grams of whole grains and are a low-fat food. I was having a chocolate craving while grocery shopping the other day and happened to walk by the granola bar section. That is where I saw the Chex Mix Bars, chocolate chunk flavor, screaming out my name. Fortunately, they were on sale (2/$5), but I did not have any coupons. Regardless, my craving was strong and the bars looked so yummy, so I bought them and they were so worth it.

The main ingredients in these tasty bars are chocolate chunks, Wheat and Corn Chex pieces and pretzels. The pretzels add just enough of a salty taste to offset the sweetness of the chocolate. Nutritionally, they are not awful either, though they are certainly not something I would call healthy either. Each 35g bar (there are 6 in a package) contains 140 calories, 3g of fat (no trans-fat, no saturated fat), 135mg of sodium, 26g carbohydrates (2g of fiber, 13g of sugar), and 2g of protein. Each bar also provides 2% of the RDA of iron (for a 2000 calories/day diet). The first five ingredients are whole wheat flour, high maltose corn syrup, milk chocolate chunks, sugar and high fructose corn syrup. Now you see why I do not call them healthy. While the first ingredient is a whole grain flour, 3 out of the next 4 are sugars and the other is chocolate. Any which way, they are still better than most chocolate candies as far as fat and sugar content go.

I will definitely buy these again, but I will have to moderate myself. They are very yummy and esy to eat more than one. I will most likely use them as a cure to pregnancy and PMS-induced cravings for chocolate and/or salt. The bars are made by General Mills and also come in turtle flavor as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment