10/1- World Vegetarian Day- Spanish word of the day: vegetables- los vegetales
- Learn about the different types of vegetarians and some reasons why people may become a vegetarian.
- Writing prompt: Do you think you would want to be a vegetarian, why or why not? Be sure to say what type of vegetarian you think you might be, if you would be one.
- We will also be eating (lacto-ovo)vegetarian meals all day. For breakfast we had vegetable omelets (spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions and green peppers) and fruit salad. For lunch, we had Tuscan Beans with Basil Pesto and Mushrooms (a sophisticated twist on greens and beans, and VERY yummy). Tonight's dinner is simply pasta and tomato sauce with garlic bread and ice cream for dessert.
10/2- Groucho Marx's Birthday- Spanish word of the day: glasses- las gafas
- Read Groucho Marx's biography and answer the following questions:
- What was Groucho's birth name? (Julius Henry Marx)
- What were the stage names given to Groucho's brothers, Leonard, Adolph, Milton, and Herbert? (Chico, Harpo, Gummo, and Zeppo)
- What were some of Groucho's trademarks? (a long coat, a painted-on mustache, thick glasses and a cigar)
10/3- Chubby Checker Birthday- Spanish word of the day: to dance- bailar
- Read Chubby Checker's biography and answer the following questions:
- What was Chubby Checker's birth name? (Ernest Evans)
- Who were his musical heroes? (Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis Presley)
- What was Chubby Checker's most successful song? (TheTwist)
10/4- National Golf Day- Spanish word of the day: golf club- el palo de golf
- We are not big golfers in our house, so we will limit our golfing, at least on this day, to miniature golf. In the future, maybe we will attempt a driving range or a round of real golf, but for now this is what we will do.
- Choose one of the following golfers and read their biography: Tiger Woods, Michelle Wie, Arnold Palmer, Phil Mickelson, Nancy Lopez. Share with the family 5 things you learned about the golfer.
10/5- Do Something Nice Day- Spanish word of the day: to do- hacer
- Perform 5 random acts of kindness today.
10/6- Thor Heyerdahl's Birthday- Spanish word of the day: raft- la balsa
- Read this article of Thor Heyerdahl and answer the following questions:
- Where was Thor Heyerdahl born? (Larvik, Norway)
- What was the name of the raft that he used to sail from South America to Polynesia in 1947? (Kon-Tiki)
- What were the names of the 2 other boats he used on his expeditions? (Ra II and Tigris)