My kids have been wanting clipboards so that they can carry their schoolwork with them and work on it wherever they may be. In an effort to stop any arguments before they started, I decided each child would have their own clipboard. We decided to decorate them in order to tell them apart. I am pleased with how easy they were and how inexpensive. The kids love them, too, so that is a bonus.
First, I picked up clipboards from Dollar Tree and took the kids to Joann's to pick out scrapbook paper and origami paper. My oldest chose duct tape sheets (penguins) instead of scrapbook paper, but most of the instructions are the same. I also pulled out the Mod Podge, some paintbrushes, a pencil, scissors and old newspapers.
Second, we traced the clipboards on the blank side of the scrapbook paper and cut it out. With the extra strip of paper, I drew their first initial freehand and cut it out. If I had it to over, I would probably use the Cricut, but c'est la vie.
Next, we brushed the back of the clipboard with Mod Podge and applied the scrapbook paper. We did not use Mod Podge to adhere the duct tape since it did not need any help sticking to the board. Try to remove as many air bubbles as possible. We matched up a piece of origami paper to each board and trimmed it to a size that looked good. (Note- on mine, the one with the "D" on it, we did not trim the origami paper.) We then used Mod Podge to attach it to the center of the board (some were turned to look like a diamond and others were left square) and then added their initial. After we were done with all that, we added a layer of Mod Podge over the top to seal it and let it dry.
You can also apply scrapbook paper to the front and add ribbons, which we may do at another time, but we are happy with how they look now, so we may just let them be.
This final picture does not do the boards justice, as they look much better in person. Seeing the picture makes me wish we had used the Cricut, and we might re-do them in the future. I also prefer the look of the origami paper better when it is trimmed and turned to look like a diamond. The one with a "D" also shows the importance of removing the air bubbles, or at least making sure they are as small as possible. It does not affect the function, but does affect the overall look. Also, measure your paper twice before cutting so you do not end up with bare edges like a few of ours. Overall, they were pretty inexpensive to make (about $2 for each one) and everyone is happy with them, so it is a success in my book.