I first tasted horchata a few years ago on a road trip. I absolutely fell in love with the creamy, sweet, cinnamony flavor and knew I wanted to try making it at home. I put on my want list, a fine mesh bag or sieve and then never bought one. Fast forward to a few weeks ago when I received the opportunity to review the Best Nut Milk Bag Now, I had no reason to not try and replicate this yummy treat. Before I get to the recipe, let me tell you a bit more about the Best Nut Milk Bag . This bag is great for exactly what its' name implies, making nut milks, and so much more. On my personal list of things to try in the future are almond milk, Greek yogurt, and Elderberry Syrup, but it can be used for any recipe that requires you to run the ingredients through a fine sieve. Here are some of the features of the bag:
The Secret to Pulp Free Nut Milks and Juices, Without the Mess, Lumps, Frustration, Waste and Tearing You Get With Cheesecloths or Cheap Nut Milks Bags!
Make Healthy, Deliciously Smooth Almond Milk, Nut Milks, Cold Brew Coffee and Juices While Saving Time and Money with Your Premium, 12" x 10" Vita Nut Milk Bag.
- You Only Have to Filter Once. Ultra Fine, High Quality Reusable Mesh Bag Means No Pulp Gets Through.
- Make More Milk from Your Almond Milk Recipe! Tight Weave and Heavy Duty Fabric Mean You Can Squeeze More Milk Out. No More Waste, and Drier Pulp!
- No Holes, Tearing or Clogging Like You Get With Cheaply Constructed Bags You Have to Keep Replacing. Our Premium, Double Enforced Outer Stitching Lasts Longer and Works Better than Other Bags.
- No Dirty Residue. Durable, Tight Weave Means No Pulp Left Behind After Washing. Your Bag Stays Sanitary for the Healthiest Drinks, Sprouts and Yogurt Possible.
- No Moldy Bags. Elastic Top Bags Dry Flat After Washing, Making Them Susceptible to Mold. Vita's Enforced Drawstring Makes Drying Quick, Complete, and More Sanitary.
FREE BONUS - Recipe E-Book with Nut Milk and Juicing Recipes specially designed for use with the Vita Nut Milk Bag.
I really like this bag and plan to use it many, many more times. The chopped rice and cinnamon sticks that I used this with had many sharp edges and likely would have shredded cheesecloth, but the bag held up well. It is easy to wash, and easy to dry. I suspect it will last for quite a while and through many, many uses. I also love that I can easily keep the pulp that I strained for other uses. For example, I am going to use the rice and cinnamon from the horchata to grind into rice flour for snickerdoodle cookies. Overall, I would highly recommend this bag.
Now for the recipe:
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 4 cups of water
- 1/2 cup milk (the more fat, the creamier it will be)
- 1 1/2 cups light cream
- 1/2 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/3 cup white sugar
1) Put the rice, water and cinnamon sticks into a blender and blend for about 1 minute, making sure the rice and cinnamon break apart somewhat.
2) Refrigerate mixture overnight, or at least 6 hours.
3) Strain the water mixture through a fine mesh sieve or The Best Nut Milk Bag, into a pitcher. Set aside the rice and cinnamon for another use or discard it.
4) Stir in the milk, cream, vanilla and sugar.
5) Chill for 1 hour.
6) Stir. Serve over ice.
Have you ever had horchata? What did you think of it? How else would you use the Best Nut Milk Bag?
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.