Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Try It Tuesday: Wegmans Atlantic Salmon, Farm Raised, Portions

In the spirit of thriftiness, I usually do not buy frozen foods that are individually frozen and I usually do not buy frozen fish either, but this week we really wanted salmon and this was by far the cheapest way to go at our grocery store. The "regular", fresh salmon was almost $12 a pound, but by buying the individually frozen salmon sections in a 2-pound package, I was able to get it for $6 a pound. So was it worth it?....I think so.

My 2-pound package of Wegman's (store name) frozen salmon sections contained 5 pieces of salmon (the bag says it should contain 8 4-oz servings), perfect for my young family, but those with smaller families will like that they can just thaw what they need. The package has directions for searing, baking, grilling and broiling the portions. All of the cooking methods require you to thaw the sections, but they thaw quickly in water. Tonight, we baked ours with a little olive oil and garlic and dill. They tasted great.

Now, I just read the description of these on the Wegman's website and I am not exactly sure how I feel, but I will share with you what I learned. The salmon is "harvested" in Chile from farms where they are raised. Unlike their "wild" versions which feed on foods that give salmon its pink color, farm-raised salmon are fed nutrients that have coloring added to give them their color. The same color-enhanced nutrients are used by fish hatcheries that help replenish the wild salmon population and are safe and healthful. I am just not sure if I like that aspect or not. The website also explains that the use of the name "Atlantic" salmon is simply the name of the variety of fish.

Salmon is a great source of Omega-3 fatty acids, something many people do not get enough of. Where I live, it costs anywhere from $5-$12+ a pound, depending on when, where, and how you buy it. I know in some places this is expensive and in some places this may be cheap, but it is more than I like to generally pay for fish. On the other hand, we are aware of the health benefits of salmon and enjoy the taste. I also like that the fish is quickly frozen (within hours of harvest) and in individual packages. Unlike, fresh salmon portions I have bought in the past, these were free of skin and the brown flesh that lies under the skin, which often gives the fish that "fishy" flavor. That helped make the fish taste even better.

My final opinion of Wegmans Atlantic Salmon, Farm Raised, Portions is that they are worth every penny paid and they are an item I will purchase again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment