Sunday, August 17, 2008

Simple Sunday: Hugs


Todays simple pleasure for me is hugs. One of my husband's co-workers is this wonderful woman named Sharon. I do not know Sharon real well yet, but I like what I do know of her so far. One thing I love about her is that whenever she sees me and/or my children, she always has a hug for us. It does not matter if I am having a bad day, her hug always helps me to feel better. That is the beauty of hugs, they can improve any moment and can always help us feel safe and loved.

Here is a story about how a hug saved the life of a newborn baby.

For some interesting videos that show just how great hugging someone, anyone, can be. Check out YouTube and type "free hugs" into the search bar. You will find a bunch of videos of people who stood in public places holding "free hug" signs. It is amazing the reactions they got and I am sure many people, especially those offering the hugs, felt really good afterwards.

Hugs are also a great way to get past an argument with someone. No matter how hurt or angry you are, a good hug from the offending person, usually helps soften your heart and helps quench the fire of anger. Knowing how good it feels when someone who has hurt us gives us a hug, imagine how someone you have hurt would feel if you offered them a hug. It is hard to stay angry with someone when they are showing that they love you.

Hugs are the perfect gift to others and to ourselves:
"Hugging is healthy: it helps the body's immunity system, it keeps you healthier, it cures depression, it reduces stress, it induces sleep, it's invigorating, it's rejuvenating, it has no unpleasant side effects, and hugging is nothing less than a miracle drug.

Hugging is all natural: it is organic, naturally sweet, it has no pesticides, no preservatives, no artificial ingredients, and is 100% wholesome.

Hugging is practically perfect: there are no movable parts, no batteries to replace, no periodic check-ups, has low energy consumption, high energy yield, is inflation-proof, non-fattening, has no monthly payments, no insurance requirements, is theft-proof, non-taxable, non-polluting, and is, of course, fully refundable."
-Sharon Lindsey (not the Sharon my husband works with)

So when you are angry, tired, lonely, sad, happy, exicted, or any other emotion, just give someone a hug. It will improve their day and yours.

1 comment: